Yesterday, I went to visit my sister and during our conversation, IF came up. She asked me for an update on TTC. I told her I couldn't really do any thing now that I didn't have any insurance, so we were basically TTC naturally. She asked why insurance was needed and even though I explained this to her a while back (see previous post
here.), I proceeded to tell her again. No matter how many people tell you they understand what you're going through, if they can go home and hug their biological children they really don't understand until they've been in your shoes. I know my sister can't fully understand the complexity of my pain. She was a teen mother (twice) and had 5 children before she even turned 30. So no, I don't ever expect her to begin to understand what I am going through. But all that aside, as a sister (and my one and only sibling at that) I would expect her to support me during this difficult journey. Again, she pushed the whole adoption thing. Now I have nothing against adoption and we have even considered it at one time, but to push and keep pushing it... yeah you're going to eventually push me into a deep, dark corner. And boy did she push hard. She argued that I could adopt and still keep trying. I told her I would never stop trying. She asks if I'm going to keep trying until I'm old? Oh, if only she knew. She even went as far to tell me that she and her husband discussed it when they couldn't get pregnant right away; that she's not as fertile as she used to be. And by right away, I mean 6 months after having unprotected sex. Then had the nerve to tell me that if she was in my place she would have started the process by now. Then had the decency to tell me she understands what I'm going through. Oh, you are so far from understanding.... so diluted in seeing what's in front of you. Not even close, haven't even grazed the tip of the iceberg, not even the least bit warm... you are frozen. I threw out my side of the story, which just broke me down even more. Needless to say, she put me in a weak and vulnerable place. I consider myself emotionally strong and I don't like crying, especially in front of people. But her idiocy stabbed me right in the heart, in the very center of my being and it shattered me to pieces. I'm thankful my mom was there to "catch me" (metaphorically speaking) because I don't know how I would've walked away from the situation. On the way out, I was still sobbing. She walked me to my car and told me she didn't mean to hurt me. I told her that I believed her but she has no idea what just happened. She found my weakness, the thing I hide from so many people. And though sometimes I can push her buttons, she has found the big red button that will shake me to the core. She said she would never use that against me and though I love my sister, I won't let her be responsible for breaking me down like that again. I've decided that until this journey is over, I have to distance myself. That doesn't mean not talking to her or avoiding family functions, it just means we can't be as "tight". She tends to hold grudges and there was a time she didn't speak to me for months. Now that we were on good terms, I had made an effort to stay on her good side and keep friendly and so we were hanging out more. That is changing, and I might be saying that because I'm in a horrible place right now, but I can't be around negative people like that... Even if they are my family.

You have to stay positive for you and your hubby. You are totally right by not being around negative people & energies. *hugs*
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry that a person who should be supporting you unconditionally is breaking you down. You are right, you need to protect yourself and do what you need to do.
ReplyDeleteMy sisters are younger than me, but they have not said one word to me since my husband and I started seeing a specialist. Not.one.word. It angers me in ways I can't believe and like you, I have decided to distance myself from them. I have some amazing friends and I have my blogger peeps and I have learned that that is all I need. Hugs to you. That's hard.
ReplyDelete